Total Pageviews

Translate

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Local Passion

THE BLACKOUT RETURNS
I've been waiting for five years now! DC United is finally back in the playoffs!

I've never thought Major League Soccer was one of the best soccer leagues in the world, nor have I thought DC United was one of the best clubs in the world, but I have been a fan of this team for about eight years. While I have started to pay more attention to the English Premier League and a little less to the MLS, I've stayed attached to United. The reason for this is the local passion. Soccer is hardly recognized in the U.S., and most people who do enjoy soccer keep up with international teams and leagues, and understandably so, as the quality is significantly higher. But this is what keeps me a fan of United. There is a section of fans in RFK Stadium, who spend entire games singing and jumping. Sometimes I'm right it, sometimes I by my TV. The fans have so much passion, but so do the players. Few individuals in the league are making enough money to be set for life. What most of these players are after is not a celebrity status or tons of money, they want to pursue the game they love. A

As you can see by what I wrote, I still to this day don't know exactly why I love DC United so much. All I know is there is something about the passion of the players and the fans, which makes supporting this team very exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment