Total Pageviews

Translate

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Indoor Soccer


I am preparing to go to my Indoor Soccer game at the Rockville Sportsplex. Indoor soccer is very different from outdoor, which I play in the spring and fall. My MSI Classic team finished in 2nd place last outdoor, season, but are 1 and 2 so far indoors. We are playing against college students, so our struggles are probably justified.

Indoor soccer is a way faster game than outdoor. But the main difference is the rules. First of all, there are no out of bounds unless the ball hits the high ceiling. The walls are not only used to keep the ball in play but also to serve as a way to pass. The fields are by estimate about 3/5 the size of a regulation field. The games are on fake turf and is played 6 on 6. Substitutions happen the same way as they do in hockey: during play, unlike outdoors when the play must be dead to make changes.

As you can see by the picture, the spectators can watch from either the ground floor or the second floor.

I'm mostly a field player but I do occasionally play goalie. They are both fun. This fast paced game forces me to be on alert every second I'm in the game. Also, it makes keeping possession much harder. There's rarely time to hold onto the ball and wait for teammates to get home. In a split second, an opponent will pick your pocket.

I've played indoor for five years now and the game has changed drastically over that time. For one thing, shots are much harder and with so few players on the field, players get many looks at goal. Also, players can kick the ball all the way across the field in the air.

The shortened field and the fast paced action lead to exciting and usually high-scoring games.

    


No comments:

Post a Comment